Sunday, August 17, 2008

The musical Mamma Mia

Needless to say how famous ABBA is. The first time I listened to their music was probably at the age of five or six. It's pretty amazing how I remembered it. I clearly remember at that time, every weekend, my mother liked to play ABBA's music from a cassette on the sound system that my farther brought from U.S.A. As a matter of fact, all the ABBA's songs were also brought back by my farther from America. Because of that, I've always thought ABBA was an American singing group until I came to Sweden. Compared to Communist songs, their music was ear-opening. Time can never wash away great music. ABBA's music is still good and touching nowadays.

I'm glad the original London cast of the musical Mamma Mia came to Stockholm, so that I can enjoy those classic songs with an entertaining story. How creative the playwright-Catherine Johnson is to come up with a theatrical story embedded with 24 of ABBA's great hits. Of course, Judy Craymer should not be forgotten. She is the one who suggested the idea of making a musical with ABBA's songs. Since the song writers from ABBA were not very much interested at the beginning, Mamma Mia would not exist without Judy's almost 15-year persistence.

Last night was a joyful night with the enjoyable musical Mamma Mia. I just wished mama were there as well. Although she might not understand most of the conversation, the charm of the music and the performance would be enough to amuse her.

No comments: